Connection has been working but now fails
If your device can still browse the internet (via WiFi if you're using WiFi, or 3/4G if via the internet) then there are 3 possible reasons that we are aware of that will cause a loss of connection
... 1) the IP Address has changed on the PAM computer
... 2) the Listener has stopped or gone to sleep
... 3) your Modem/Router needs to be restarted
If you are connecting to the PocketPAM Listener via a WiFi connection, the first thing to check is that your PAM computer's IP Address has not changed. If it has, it means that another computer or device has jumped the queue and taken your PAM compotuer's original IP Address.
To solve this, simply change the IP address in PockPAM2 to match.
If this happens often, you will need to fix the IP address in the PAM computer. Fixing your PAM Computer's internal network IP Address is not to be confused with an external Static IP Address.
Fixing the IP Address of your PAM computer to stop it changing
Step1. Check out the current IP address using "ipconfig"
Start / Run / cmd / OK ... type ipconfig at the "DOS prompt" ( this is the same process you used originally to opbtain the ip address)
Take note of these values
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : << this is the value to use as your 'static' internal IP address, not "any IP address", just this one !!
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . :
Restart the PocketPAM Listener ... (if your PC is set to sleep or hibernate, the PocketPAM Listner may not have woken up) here's how:
- Click on the Start Button (Bottom right corner of the Windows screen)
- On the Start Menu, right click on the "Computer" or "My Computer" button, choose "Manage"
- On the Manage Computer screen, click on the "Service and Applications" (found at the bottom of the listing down the left hand side of the window)
- Now click on the Services option... this will display a long list of services on the right hand side of the screen. The list is sorted alphabetically ... locate "PocketPAM Listener" ... Check that is is running. You should see the words "Started" and "Automatic" alongside PocketPAM Listener.
- If it has stopped, or even if it says it is running, click on the Restart option... which you should see top left of screen or... right click on PocketPAM Listener and use the options on the pop-up menu.
Restart your Modem/Router - this is usually just a case of pulling out the power plug for 10 seconds, putting it back and waiting until it comes back to life